Industrial sites reconversion:
The city of Seraing in partnership with "Foncière Liégeoise" is studying the conversion options of three major industrial sites:
1. The last blast furnace (HFB) still existing was permanently extinguished at the end of 2019.
This 40 ha site has a very high potential for the developpement of economical activities with high growth capacity. Nearby the Liege University and Science Park, the site is extremely well visible and accessible (roads, train, waterway, tram)
A touristic development with industrial memory migh also be considered.
2. The coke plant site (+/-40 ha) will be cleaned and deconstructed by Arcelor Mittal.
The site will then be reconverted with new economical activities with high added value participating to the reconversion process of the city (high potential sectors, jobs creation, ..) For ex. waste treatment and circular economy migh be considered.
3. A second former blast furnace (HF6) has already been deconstructed.
After complete cleaning it will be dedicated to the creation of a new neighborhood including housing, services, shops and business.
The project was labelised "Quartier Nouveau" by the walloon government. This label helps with the implementation of various urban planning tools such as "SAR", "ZEC".
3 sites of +/- 40 hectares each
Project 1 and 2:
2020 - 2023:
- Planning for deconstruction and sanitation of the sites
- Validation of the reconversion options, by the city of Seraing and its partner "Foncière Liégeoise"
- Think tanks on the future of industrial sites
- Depollution and reconversion plan for the implementation of new projects
- Realization of a ZEC (Municipal issue area) on the perimeter of the site